Blog #2: The Final Project
The Discussion of the 3 Iterations of the project:
At this point, I have met with a guitarist to learn about
the blues/folk modalities on the guitar, chord patterns, some picking etc. I
also have been practicing singing along with iconic, important folk songs. I
have, additionally, written down some ideas, themes, and tropes to begin the
rough draft of the lyrics. In this post, I will enumerate and describe the
processes for the above-mentioned developments in the project.
First, I will outline my tentative explorations into the
guitar. I met with a family friend, John, to get some bearings on playing the
guitar. The first couple of chords he taught me were the E major chord, the A
minor chord, the C major chord, and the G major chord. So far, so good, but the
tips of my fingers hurt from pressing the strings down. My guitar teacher
assures me, with time and regular practice, I will develop callouses on my
fingertips, which will allow me to play better and for longer amounts of time.
This is the type of guitar that I will be using for the
song:
It is a Fender acoustic guitar and the tone of it is
apposite for the type of folk/blues song I am intending to
create/write/develop.
Second, I have been trying to absorb as much folk and blues
music as I can. I am doing this to make myself inured with these traditions and
for inspiration. Here is a list of a few of the blues/folk songs that I have
found to be helpful, informative, inspiring, and they just sound great:
Eva Davis- John Hardy (1924): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJKj12xm_tk
The Mississippi Sheiks- Sitting On Top of the World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqeW7-tmVU4
Ralph Stanley- Man of Constant Sorrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mndlk0qbIbE
Leadbelly- Goodnight Irene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmQXmqbZ3Pc
Geeshie Wiley- Last Kind Words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKfy2W70Qg
Blind Willie McTell- Searching the Desert for the Blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLXq6pJnr_c
Blind Willie Johnson- The Soul of a Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MdI2xPHw_k
Wanda Jackson- Hard Headed Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJ3hiqsi0U
In terms of the writing portion of the project, I have
written down a few ideas. A potential first few lines of the verse are:
Under a blood red moon,
I dream of you.
All across the Western skies,
Constellations shine like her brown eyes.
I also want to incorporate the mythology of John Hardy into
the song, particularly the line about carrying two guns everyday:
Some other fragments of verse I might use are:
Some call her the midnight sun,
They're wrong; I call her heaven.
But I was kicked out of the kingdom
because of a pin and its poison.
You know the story...
Here it comes again:
I was a bad, bad, bad man.
I carried two guns everyday.
Draw on me, and I'll blow you away.



Jun,
ReplyDeleteWhat a thoughtful approach you are taking! I agree that while we are used to listening to music that is often very complex in the number of instruments and also the production, often a stripped-down song is most beautiful. Good luck with your guitar practice!