Sunday, 15 June 2014

Visiting the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire

Makers Faire Blog

Last weekend, I visited the Vancouver Mini Makers Faire Picnic. It was an exciting community and collective of often-DIY craft makers brought together to share/exhibit their wares with the world and to sell some of their pieces. The brochure/program guide announces: “Build. Hack. Sew. Play. Learn. Farm. Invent. Create. Make.” It incorporated all of these elements and more! The Faire was a great way to participate even as a spectator because, like the final project, it gave form and application to all the readings and texts we have studied and responded to over the course of the term. In addition, it was fascinating and fun mingling with the vibrant maker’s community. The best attribute, for me, of the Faire was that it animated and brought to life all the things we have been studying together in the class.
I think one of my favorite features of the Faire was the robot/mechanical snake. One of the reasons I was so drawn to the gigantic, slithering robot snake was because it was so visually arresting. Moreover, as a student of design, I could appreciate the fact that it was obviously a well designed, aesthetically interesting, and an effective, well-oiled machine. I also really liked that the mechanical/robot snake encouraged a type of participation and an involvement with the audience; as it slithered around, you had to step back or circumvent it accordingly.
As I wandered around the Faire, many of the different readings seemed to pop up in my mind. For example, in Hiten Samtani’s, “Meet the Makers,” it says that, “A maker space, she says, serves as an active breeding ground for such skills, a place where swarms
of inquisitive young people can come together and absorb new learning paradigms. (Samstani 6). The Faire was an example of this exact contention. Another refreshing aspect of the Faire was that, rather than the normal reality where large corporations focus their energies monopolizing the world, at every juncture along the way in the Faire, you were faced with innovations by individuals, not corporations or behemoth companies:
“Rather than top-down innovation by some of the biggest companies in the world, we're seeing bottom-up innovation by countless individuals, including amateurs, entrepreneurs, and professionals.” (Anderson 11) This excerpt taken from Chris Anderson’s “The New Industrial Revolution” was especially pertinent with regards to the Faire.
            Overall, I thought it was a great way to see, participate, and be a part of the readings, texts, ideas etc. from the class. I encourage anyone from the class to go and check it out for yourself (if you missed this year’s Faire, maybe you can make it next year or to another event with the same theme and approach).




















I didn't get a good shot of the robot/mechanical snake, but here is one I found online:

More information can be found here about "Titanoboa": http://titanoboa.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment