Singing, Recording, and the Audio
If there had not
been such tight time constraints, one of the things I would have changed the
most, worked on more, and tried to improve would be 1) My anemic singing 2) My
guitar playing and 3) More time on the lyrics. The singing component of the
project was without a doubt the aspect that I had the most trouble with. In
fact, listening to the various recorded fragments of the song was a humbling
process because I had to hear the ignominious tones of my voice over and over
again. I don’t know about you, but hearing a recorded version of my voice is a
jarring experience. I hate the sound of my voice and it makes me stomach turn
just hearing it. If I had more time, I would have met with a voice teacher and
worked a lot more on the vocals. That is my main regret about the project.
Learning, listening to, studying/reading, and, just generally, absorbing the
rich, textured, and brilliant folk/blues tradition was a definite highlight of
the project for me.
In terms of the
recording, I recorded dozens, if not more, versions of fragments of the song,
and, if I am going to be perfectly honest, I wasn’t happy with any of them. I
was able to borrow and use a very basic analogue 4-track recording device and I
experimented with using a demo version of Pro-Tools, which is one of the
standard recording devices/programs for recording musicians in our contemporary
time. The problem is that the digital recording devices do not have the warmth,
the fatness, and the scope of sound that the analogue recording devices do. In
the end, I used the four-track and then uploaded the various
fragments/recordings to my computer. Here is one fragment of the song I
recorded:
Link: https://soundcloud.com/jun-lee-36/voice00041
.jpg)


Hi Lee!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved your song and your approach to making it and was blown away that you were able to learn both how to sing and play the guitar in the space of a few weeks. Sort of ties into the notion of the power of technology and how we no longer have to attend classes or seminars to learn how to do things, which is much easier for aspiring artists.. Good job!